[or-roots] I like the old photos too!

pearlsoup at aol.com pearlsoup at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 08:26:59 PST 2005

Hi Listers,
I have been lurking for years on this board and rarely say anything but
the old photos thing got me.
I love the old photos and have quite a collection of unidentified
photos of people in Oregon and Washington and was thinking it would be
nice to have a website devoted to just NW photos. I know that I am
always looking for my families photos and bibles and it would be nice
to see what other Oregonians have in their collections.
My grandmother's unmarried sister's trunk full of old photos, postcards
and hair sample book, (she was trying her hand at hair weaving that was
popular then, so I have actually touched the hair of her parents who
were my grt grt grandparents). A cousin's family saved this trunk all
these years with contents untouched. I received a copy of all the
photos and have been able to identify some of them and share some of
them with descendants of my grt aunt's friends. I sent one lady a copy
of just her ancestor's siblings and she was thrilled! I've talked to so
many people who's family didn't receive any of the old family photos
and felt kind of bad about it. So, this trend to share these old photos
and get them identified is just great. I keep doing it in hopes that my
family bibles and things will surface. I just recently bought an old
album when I was in Lincoln City last weekend. It is a beautiful old
victorian album with the celuloid front cover and the velvet back with
tin types in the back of the album and only two photos with a name
written on the back. The surnames involved are BETTERTON and COOPER or
COPPLE. Most of the paper photos were taken in Missouri. I'm working on
finding the family but it might not be as easy as I thought. In my
spare time I also check the sites out there and then search the family
trees on Rootsweb and leave a post-it telling them about their family
photos and where they are. I just hate to see them sit when they could
be going home. : )
Thanks for listening!
Linda Purvis
Beaverton, OR
OR-HUNT,DOWNING,ESTEP,QUEENER,EDWARDS,BIDDIX,  WA-REDDICK,WEAVER,SPENCER