[or-roots] Pacific Typhoon

Aileen Itzen hai at callatg.com
Tue Dec 20 17:40:37 PST 2005

I recall a friend telling me of the time she, her husband (career Navy) and
small child were being transferred back to the US from Shanghai in the late
'30's.  Their ship got caught in a typhoon with a great deal of cargo lashed
to the main decks.  Some of it got loose and crews were trying to control it
each time the ship rolled.  At one point one seaman got caught against the
rail by a large container.  When the container slid the opposite direction
there were only two halves of the seaman left.  She said later the ship's
commanding office made the observation that the list had been much more than
the manufacturer  had indicated would be the maximum.  She said her husband
had some slacks hanging up on a door hook and when the ship rolled in one
direction the slacks would hang  almost straight down from the door and when
it rolled the other way they were pressed hard against the door.  She didn't
much care if she never had that experience again.    Aileen