[or-roots] Re: Dayton Oregon & Washington

Nancy Lee Adams nancydean at columbia-center.org
Thu Dec 22 09:24:28 PST 2005

Denise,  here are some web sites that tell some history about each Daytons
in OR & WA.
yes, I agree It is interesting that Mr. Palmer would be involved in both
towns with the same name & especially each Dayton named for a different
person. I was curious on the meaning of founder so I it looked up... the
meaning of founder>>One who establishes something or formulates the basis
for something..

Dayton, Washington WA, city profile (Columbia County) - hotels ...
Dayton, Washington WA, community profile, with detailed info on ... Dayton
is on
the Touchet River. The community was named for Jesse N. Day, settler ...

Columbia County Geography>
Dayton The seat of government in Columbia County. In 1864, there was a
postoffice
in that vicinity named Touchet. On November 23, 1871, Jesse N. Day and ...

Pioneer Church History: Yamhill County, Oregon
The town was named by Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith after Smith's former home
in
Dayton, Ohio. The town developed a waterfront along the Yamhill River and ..

Dayton Yahoo Map

The town was named by Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith after Smith's former home
in Dayton, Ohio. The town developed a waterfront along the Yamhill River and
became an important shipping point. At first, boats were propelled by
Indians pushing on the banks with long sticks. Soon steam replaced the hand
power and a brisk trade developed with the three-times-per-week boat trips.
See the photo of The Relief taken near Dayton
 Nancy