[or-roots] Re: Dayton Oregon & Washington

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net glenkc7mbm at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 10:58:19 PST 2005

I should have mentioned if you have not looked at Oregon History Joel Palmer was the first indian agen for the Oregon Territory and that included Washington he traveled with I.I. Stevens the first governor of WT. as he was making some of his treaties.
Glen Portland

--
Glen A. Jones

From: glenkc7mbm at comcast.net

Just a note if anyone is interested in Joel Palmer, the Fort Walla Walla Museum puts on a living history presentation on him and other notable pioneers every summer, I was to one this last year and it was on Joel Palmer and Robert Newell.
Robert newell's wife as well as Joseph Meek's 2nd wife were sisters of my G G Grandmother, Pah Tis Sah (Isabel Craig) all daughters of Chief James Moses of the Lapwai band Nez Perce tribe.
Glen Jones Portland

--
Glen A. Jones

From: "Nancy Lee Adams" <nancydean at columbia-center.org>
Denise,  here are some web sites that tell some history about each Daytons in OR & WA.
yes, I agree It is interesting that Mr. Palmer would be involved in both towns with the same name & especially each Dayton named for a different person. I was curious on the meaning of founder so I it looked up... the meaning of founder>>One who establishes something or formulates the basis for something..

Dayton, Washington WA, city profile (Columbia County) - hotels ...
Dayton, Washington WA, community profile, with detailed info on ... Dayton is on
the Touchet River. The community was named for Jesse N. Day, settler ...

Columbia County Geography>
Dayton The seat of government in Columbia County. In 1864, there was a postoffice
in that vicinity named Touchet. On November 23, 1871, Jesse N. Day and ...

Pioneer Church History: Yamhill County, Oregon
The town was named by Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith after Smith's former home in
Dayton, Ohio. The town developed a waterfront along the Yamhill River and ...
Dayton Yahoo Map

The town was named by Joel Palmer and Andrew Smith after Smith's former home in Dayton, Ohio. The town developed a waterfront along the Yamhill River and became an important shipping point. At first, boats were propelled by Indians pushing on the banks with long sticks. Soon steam replaced the hand power and a brisk trade developed with the three-times-per-week boat trips. See the photo of The Relief taken near Dayton
 Nancy