[or-roots] Aunt Charotte's book

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 10:52:28 PST 2005

The general meeting place was at  Westport and we were there for a  couple of
weeks before the hundred and nineteen wagons  and over a thousand  people had
all arrived and were ready to start. Some of the wagons were   from states
quite distant. It was a great picnic for everyone and for us  children
especially. Each day there was new excitement. We would gather about  newly arrived
wagons and look them  over in search of possible playmates. I  had already found
Nancy Beagle. The friendship formed  there at Westport  endured through the
many long years. She is gone now. When I saw her last,   there were still five
of us left out of the thousand who gathered there. I am  quite alone now.  When
new wagons drawn by fat oxen came up everyone talked  at once in the making
of new  friendships or the renewing of old ones.  Everything was "spick and
span" and the wagons were heavily loaded. We children  acted as sort of a
reception committee to welcome the new children  and  make them feel at home. I
remained a bit in the background and tried very hard  to concentrate upon the fact
that if one were a lady, one stood very straight  with toes turned slightly
out and never under any circumstances did a lady  stare at strangers without
first remembering to  close her mouth.

  Mother had been to a finishing school and she tried to "finish  me" after
the same pattern. She almost did, but not in the way that she  intended.

  She tried very hard to teach me to curtsey (Kirchy, I called  it). I could
not see a bit of use  in it, but really wanted to please  Mother. If she
wanted me to crook my legs when elder people  spoke to me,  very well, I would try
to do it. But something seemed to be the matter,  maybe  something was wrong
with my legs. They just simply would not bend in  the right place. I can see
now that the defect was temperamental. I must  have exasperated Mother to the
limit of her  endurance. She boxed my ears  frequently and sometimes even
oftener than that. In justice  Mother, I will  admit that I probably needed it. I
was very dumb and without the power of   expressing myself, and the many
injunctions to be remembered by a real lady,  just would not stay with me. While we
were at Westport our boys and the men were  put through a regular army  drill.
This was with the thought in mind that  we were to travel through and into
Indian country. Military discipline was  established and when long lines of
wagons finally pulled into the trail of   the setting sun, it was in regular army
formation, but in a few weeks it was  found impractical and  abandoned.

  Then came the first crushing disappointment of my life. We  started very
early in the  morning. Father had said we were to travel  straight "INTO THE EYE
OF THE SETTING SUN" but  something seemed to have  gone wrong. The sun was
directly behind us and our big covered  wagon and  the four oxen that pulled it
cast long shadows before us.

  Later on in the day though everything seemed all right and I  watched the
sun and thought  of little else. I watched the bright shinny  path that it made
in the new grass and was quite  satisfied. We were  traveling straight into
the eye of it. I saw it settling lower and lower in  the  western sky. It was
surely slipping away from me, something  undoubtedly was wrong. I finally  saw
it sink entirely out of sight and in  a little while the same stupid darkness
was upon us.  Perhaps tomorrow it  would be different. But tomorrow it was the
same and the next day and the   next.

  I must have accepted it or have forgotten it for I do not  remember asking
about what had  happened or of understanding it.

  For many years I would watch the sun low in the western sky and  wish that
I might follow  it follow the day and leave night and wasted time  behind, but
not any more. Now I often find  myself nodding in my chair and  losing many
moments of the beautiful California sunshine. I am  drawing  very near to the
eye of the setting sun. Presently it will be goodnight and  rest.

Walt  Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361
503 623-0460