[or-roots] Pass Creek stories

Sue Steward ssteward at ccountry.net
Thu Jan 13 08:26:32 PST 2005

There is a Pass Creek Covered Bridge in Drain which seems to be the Pass
Creek mentioned in the Meier and Frank story.  Couldn't find anything on a
Pass Creek Innc.

Sue

----

Article published May 22, 2004

Covered Bridges

Covered bridges have been a staple of  Oregon life since territorial days.

In 1851, eight years before Oregon became a state, locals placed a roof on a
bridge crossing the Willamette River at Oregon City, where thousands of
emigrants ended their journey across the Oregon Trail.

Nearly 300 covered bridges were built throughout the state. About 60 have
survived, including seven in Douglas County.

PASS CREEK
Built in 1925, this bridge is owned by the city of Drain and is one of only
a few Oregon covered bridges located within city boundaries.

Pass Creek Bridge is the last remaining span of three that were built at
Drain, the other two being the Morningstar Bridge over Elk Creek and the
East Drain Bridge, which was upstream from Pass Creek Bridge.

The 61-foot-long Pass Creek Bridge was one of the oldest continually used
bridges remaining in the state when it was moved a few hundred yards
downstream in 1987. The first bridge at the original site was built in 1906,
then replaced by the current structure in 1925.

It now stands behind the Drain Civic Center at Third and A streets and is
open exclusively to foot traffic, which often includes teens walking to
classes at North Douglas High School.

http://www.newsreview.info/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040522/DISCOVER04/105220066&template=printart