[or-roots] A modern day Oregon story (well sort of)

dgoodma02 at comcast.net dgoodma02 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 14:07:51 PDT 2005

The Following occured in1971 when I was assigned to the 25th Air Division at McChord Air Force Base, near Tacoma Washington, (the 25th Air Division was responsible for the Defense of  U.S. airspace from northern California to Northern Canada, and often ran intercepts on cmmercial aircraft off course as they approached the U.S. West Coast.) On November 24, 1971, Thanksgiving Eve, A Mr. Dan Cooper boarded a Northwest Orient Flight at Portland Oregon International Airport. Once aloft he threatened to blow up the plane and demended $200,000 and four parachutes. Cooper had the plane land at SeaTac Airport Where he colected the $200,000 from the Airlines and had all of the passengers get off. Then he told the Air Crew to fly to Mexaco.  The Hijacked Plane was a Boeing 727.  Remember it had a rear entrance up through the tail.  Cooper (some how became D.B. Cooper) put on one of the parachutes and jumped out the rear entrance with all the money, and was never heard from or seen again.
Well, at that time, I had my son ( about 17YO) with me as I had promissed him a tour of the 25th Air Division Blockhouse,.  Nothing ever happend on Thanksgiving Eve!  I had acces Clearance and escorted him in.  We had just gotten to my Office in the Blockhouse with all the Radar Scopes when the Alarms went off!!! The night duty officer told me that my son had to get out right now and that the Division Commander wanted me at my Battle Staff position ASAP.( Both my son and I were in Civies)
I tossed my son my car keys and had him escorted out.  I was on duty until at least mid morning of  that Thanksgiving.
I could actually see the 727 on my Scope and we scrambled 2 Fighters off within minutes.  They could actually see the 727 ocassionally but they couldn't shoot 'cause the Air Crew (Pilot, Co Pilot, Engineer and cabin staff ,(about 4) were on board, also we were afraid of where it would crash if we did shoot.
Well the rest you most likely know.  Cooper did bail out apparently over souther Washington, and was never heard from again!!

--
Bob Goodman
USAF Retired