[or-roots] photographer in Oregon

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Sat Jul 16 20:04:08 PDT 2005

In a message dated 7/16/05 7:52:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbhg1221 at comcast.net writes:
I think that Lake Oswego is fairly recent.  Before I believe that it was just
Oswego, but I don't know how long Oswego has been around.
According to "Oregon Geographic Names", 7th edition by Lewis A. McArthur and
Lewis L. McArthur, the original community of Oswego was named for Oswego, N.Y.
by A.A. Durham, a pioneer of Oregon of 1847. The post office was established
on Dec. 31, 1853.

On May 1, 1959, the residents of Oswego and those of Lake Grove voted to
merge into a single city that was called Lake Oswego. The post office was renamed
on June 1, 1961.

Linda VanOrden