[or-roots] Fw: Look-up, & OR Trail FYI :

Carroll Clark w7iml at gte.net
Tue Mar 22 07:58:24 PST 2005

When did Jason Clark migrate from Harrisburg OR to Wilbur OR?  He operated a ferry service at nearby Winchester of
Umpqua area sites. Jason operated ferry service at Harrisburg, OR, Winchester, OR and at Lyle, WA (Columbia River area
west of The Dalles) that I know of, so far.
                                                                            * * *
Hi Robert! Yes, I can ans your query- it was 1855 when my Clark clan migrated from Harrisburg, OR to the Umpqua area of Winchester,OR near Roseburg.  It was there that they farmed, accdg to the Info of record at the Roseburg, State Museum.
It was at that general location that they became members of the Umpqua Academy, Wilbur OR conducted by Father James Wilbur, aka a Wilbur Academy ( a Methodist Academy).  My Clarks were at the Umpqua area site from 1855 - 1865 when the family migrated to White River Valley, Washington Territory, which became Titusville, then Kent, Washington which it
remains today, just south of Seattle.
 The Roseburg Museum has PIX of Umpqua Academy, as well as records from that Academy, and maps that show the
residents of the time.  I was able to see my Clark's farmland, and who their neighbors were via the Museum's holdings.
 For those not familiar with the area Winchester was a very small town, near Wilbur OR and near the Museum at Roseburg.
I was happy to have visited those sites where my ancestors tread, and the Museum a great place to do research of the area.
The Staff there were most helpful to me and this was back in the '80s when I slept in the back of my Volvo 1800 ES
Sportwagon which small and I had to curl up in it - but when you have been bitten by the Gen. Bug, you do all sorts of
crazy things to shag that Info. !!!  Now, I 80 and I don't do those trips that I used to do when I was livid for ancestral
tracings.  I had ham radio to keep me in touch with home in Snohomish in those times. I used ham radio to shag descendants and to shag info such as my Stop in Portland where I used my Pentax camera to take close ups of a CLARK Pulpit Bible presented to my Grt Grt GF Jason S. Clark in 1865 when the Family was leaving Umpqua Academy for WA Territory.
  Enyoy!
Carroll in Snohomish
w7iml at gte.net