[or-roots] Richelieu co Quebec stuff / St. Onge

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun May 1 10:05:53 PDT 2005

For those wondering what this has to do with the Or-roots list, I have
(tentatively) traced my Lavodore (or whatever) line back to a web site which
mentions this little detail that might be of use to folks chasing Canadian
roots;

Richelieu county is now called Bas-Richelieu-Nicolet-Bécancour

also if the person (folks?) looking for St. Onge roots are still around; I
seem to recall they had Canadian connections and there happens to be a whole
page of them at;

http://www.rootsweb.com/~qcrichel/90002872.HTM

anyone chasing roots in the above mentioned county should check;

http://www.rootsweb.com/~qcrichel/DEFAULT.HTM

Also a note on searching for Indian roots in the Heritage Quest online
stuff, since a lot of Native Americans only had one name, be sure to try
using "Indian" for surname when searching, I stumbled across a whole tribe
listed that way trying to chase down one of the Lavadore lines.

Emelie Lavadore (ma. ?) Thomas Seldon abtl 1853 and they had four children
Rose 1854, Margaret 1856, Henry 1857 and Martha 1860. My unknown source
lists the firt three as Laverdure and the last as Seldon so the married part
is a little vague, but by either name and as many variotions as I could come
up with I find no trace of them; of course that isn't too surprising since I
have had virtually no luck finding the rest of the Lavadore family by
searching for any of the variatons on their name that I have come up with in
1860 and 1870.

Seems like all I do is whine, huh, sorry about that, it's just that I almost
always get derailed when I start hamerring at one of these things, the
derailments are usually productive, but sure make it hard to get anything
actually DONE!