[or-roots] Lavadores etc

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Wed May 4 20:46:37 PDT 2005

Okay;

First I better state the item that inspired this letter as what started out
to be a short note is rapidly approaching novellette size, if you think I am
wordy on here, you should meet me in person!!

Just found this link for those who have folks in Mt. Calvary & Gethsemani
Catholic Cemeteries, Portland, OR
http://catholiccemeteriespdx.com/locate.html

you have to email a request and it looks like they send you a description of
where your loved one is, I don't know if they accept fishing expeditions or
not, but all they could do is say no. Also if you want info on the Catholic
cemetery in Eugene they ask that you phone them; (541) 686-8722

about them Lavadors;

Thanks Ronda; No I didn't have all those bits of info, I don't have home
access to Ancesty and rarely make it to the FHC, mostly because I am a long
ways from exhausting Heritage Quest. Those clues will help me put together a
"slightly" clearer picture of the Lavadores. I think your Ravir in 1900 is
actually X've from 1880 and his parentage makes him a highly likely
candidate for being a sister to Angelique which is where my niece connects
to that surname.

As far as I know the only Lavadores I am interested in would be found in
Oregon or Washington with big maybes for Idaho and California, some of the
names there are definitely of interest as I have been told that many parts
of the clan drifted back and forth over the border, the big surprise to me
was to find folks in the Portland area in the ninteenth century from this
group when I had always assumed they mostly traveled the Umatilla co Douglas
Co and wherever the  heck they went in California circuit.

A lot of the stuff you have further down the list is news to me, as I also
don't have access to the 1930 census. It just has been a real trial trying
to put this bunch together. The biggest Irony is that from 1981 to 1987 I
was spending my summers in that area of Douglas County and the names
Lavadore, Rondeu, Dumont and others I can't think of at the moment that i am
slowly putting together a picture of how they are all connected are names
that resonate loudly in my memory of that area and I actually became good
friends with a lot of their descendants. Unfortunately I didn't know I had a
connection to them at the time. I was also one of the last people to see
Lavadore hall still standing, the only people that saw it after us were the
firefighters that were trying to save it just before it burned to the
ground.

And Bob, that is one of the reasons I have pursued this so hard is I really
want to put it all together, then one of these days I can take my
niece-in-law and her daughter down to that country and look up some of my
old friends and introduce them to their kin and watch them cringe when I
explain to them that this something or other cousin of theirs means they're
related to ME! Just kidding, most of them won't be offended, I hope. Also
when we piece it all together and then I can drive them up the Umpqua past
Dumont Creek and Dompier Creek and show them the Rondeau burn (if I can
remember where it was) and maybe even  get a chance to visit some of those
family plots folks have mentioned in here, if we had the time.

I think I have wasted enough space blathering for one night.