[or-roots] Divorce Records

Ronda Howard whizinc at comcast.net
Fri May 13 07:41:07 PDT 2005

Hi Eugene,
This question of why did he marry her and why did he leave was what got me into genealogy a few years ago.  My husband's grandfather Charles Howard married Rachel Brewer in 1915.  Then she divorced him in 1916.  I had the final papers which were dated a few months after their son John Brewer Howard was born.  Family lore said he went back to Kentucky and was an alcoholic.  Thanks to a RAOGK (Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness, www.raogk.org) volunteer in Lane County, I got the court papers which told me he stole her Dad's horse, took off, sold it as his own, was caught and convicted of forgery.  At the time of the divorce he was not in Kentucky, but Oregon State Penitentiary.  I still don't know why they got married, but I know why they got divorced.

Did your great uncle have a baby in that one year time period?  Did you find him in the Navy, or did he go somewhere else?  Maybe he had two families?
The questions are endless!
Have a great day,
Ronda Howard