[or-roots] Whys and the Clarks

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue May 31 21:15:42 PDT 2005

I too cannot offer an answer, but maybe some speculation; I note that
consistency in reporting pertinent facts, Or I should say, lack thereof
carries over from one generation to the next. In 1900 we find Thomas
reporting his birth place as Indiana, in 1880 he lists Illinois, but if you
Missouri and that is where all the children are listed as being born. BUT he
lists his birthplace as Missouri in 1880 and 1870 and Illinois in 1860. He
is also coy about his age, in 1880 he is 60, ten years earlier he is 12
years younger, and in 1860 he is only 37.

Now this may be sloth, or confusion or indifferance, but it might also
indicate someone covering their trail. I would like to have someone who has
access to the 1880 Census see if Thomas is really listed as EB Clark, it
might go a long way toward telling Suz why he came west. Maybe he had a
falling out with the family and didn't want to be found?

On the other hand maybe he was the black sheep in wanting to wander, and no
one else did, in 1900 we find Ephraim and Julia still in ray Co., Mo with
sons Riley and Jerome and Dau Emma still at home. Julia lists 11 children,
10 still living, but I couldn't figure out which one of the 50 some odd
William clarks born in MO between 1860 and 1870 is their son and I didn't
even try to locate E.C.

Chances are though unless she finds someone with a diary or letter of
explanation, Suz will have to be content with knowing he did come alone, and
not why.

Suz, if you want those census images let me know and I can email them to you
off list, the images run about 200 to 300 kb so if you are on dialup you
might not want them.