[or-roots] LDS Online Library/ Klamath co potato pickers

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Wed Nov 9 11:24:10 PST 2005

Okay;

Now that I have spent an hour playing around at the link, I read the
directions, the problem I see with that is a lot of folks will have trouble
handling adobe files, the good news is you don't have to go there to find
good stuff, the first thing I tried when I found someplace to actually
access something(more on that in a minute) was my home town Cottage Grove,
Oregon and came up with a Dorthea Lange photo of some house being moved down
main street in 1937. the thing that tickeld me ws it included a picture of
the railraod depot which is long gone and someday I may want to model.

Now to the problems, I havent' tried the directions below so hope they are
helpful, but it is easy to wander into places that do you no good at that
link, one of the searches that I was led to obviously turned out to be their
book index for folks wanting to check out library books, I typed in "Wagon
Train" and got a bunch of kids fiction.

Any way the next thing I tried was their map links, which looks like a
really great collection, unfortunately the security settings on my browser
don't seem to allow me to use it and I am not going to give anybody's web
site unrestricted access to do things on my computer, I turned pop-up
blocker off and then instead of the page not opening, it opened and
disappeared.

NOw to my first success;
http://hbllmedia.lib.byu.edu/subs/subject.pl?s_id=16

is a page of links to some good stuff, but to use the search link at the top
of the page you have to be a BYU student or Staff, but part way down I found
a link that led me to what this email is all about (you knew I'd get there
eventually huh?)

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/fsaall:@FILREQ(@FIELD(DOCID+@LIT
(fsa2000004565/PP))+ at FIELD(COLLID+fsa))

will take you to about 8 or 10 Klamath Co, Oregon Dorthea Lange photos,
mostly of Potato Pickers in Malin in 1939 and their environment, I suspect
they don't have names of folk in them in the captions, but if you take time
to download the high quality copy  of the image you might find family by
inspection. I realize the odds anybody on the list had transient potato
pickers in their ancestry, but if the fields had been a little further north
I would be tempted to go see if our old Chev truck was in the background
being loaded with our annual starch staple supply. I have mentioned in here
before that my family hauled 1/2 to two tons of spuds to CG every harvest
season to put in the potato house for the next years consumption, so these
folks in these fotos resonate with my family history.

I think there is probably some good stuff there, but it may try peoples
patience to find it, the easist thing I see is images, I was hoping for some
clue to When, how and where My Melvins came over the trail, and all I found
on line is a article on how important the diaries of people who came over
the trail are to our understanding of history with lots of diaries listed in
the appendix, but nowhere do I see a way to access them.

Oh well, someday!

Les C

Subject: [or-roots] LDS Online Library

This information came to me from another list and I am wondering if anyone
on the Oregon Roots list has used this website.  It was new to me.

Dolores
djbrtb at kci.net

The LDS Family History Library has announced that it has begun the  process
of digitizing and making available on the Internet all of the  Family
History books in their collection.  About 5000 books have been  digitized
and are available, and they have announced that they are  adding about 100
titles a week to the on-line collection.

Go to  the web site of the Harold B. Lee Library at BYU,

http://www.lib.byu.edu/

HOW TO USE:   From the list of collections that are displayed, choose:

"Find Other Materials"
"Electronic"
"On Line Collections at BYU"
Choose the TAB "Text Collections"
And, finally, "Family History Archive"

It turns into an Adobe file and you can use  all your Adobe features.