[or-roots] Dobbs

dgoodma02 at comcast.net dgoodma02 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 11 13:13:11 PST 2005

Thanks for the Dobbs info.
Kissiah Dobbs (my gggm) married William M Dye in Grayson Texas abt 1843

--
Bob Goodman
USAF Retired

The Dobbs Family

John Dobbs arrived in Ireland in 1596 with the army of Sir Henry Dockwra, and married Margaret, the only child of John Dalway of Ballyhill. Dobbs built a small castle on the land, his family prospered and took on an active role in the affairs of Carrickfergus, a service that continues to the present day through a line of sheriffs, town mayors, MPs and Lord Lieutenants. Arthur Dobbs was born in 1689 and had a long and distinguished career, becoming in turn Mayor of Carrickfergus, an MP and Surveyor General of Ireland. Regarded as an ‘improving’ landlord he was fascinated with the ‘New World’ and exploration. In 1753 he was appointed Governor of North Carolina where he was respected as a fine administrator who served his new state with great vigour. He was instrumental in encouraging the emigration of the Jackson family whose son was to become one of America’s greatest Presid ents. Castle Dobbs remains the home of the Dobbs family, and its members are still very prominently involved in the life of the town and the affairs of the Borough and County.