[or-roots] Benjamin Cleaver 1850 route

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Wed Nov 23 14:13:22 PST 2005

Roger;

What you understand is essentially correct, his description is pretty much
take I5 to Wolf Creek or thereabouts, then follow down that to the Rogue and
up the Rogue and then cut across to the Klamath and down east of Mount
Shasta. I find his reference to "the Cisku mountains. These mountains are
not very rough nor of any great elevation." as a bit amusing. If he had
tried to go west of Mount Shasta he might have had a little differant
opinion of the terrain. It is a lot flatter east of the Cascades in that
portion of his trip.

As to hiway numbers, I think Barb was confused, or the numbers have changed,
I know it sounded right to me when I read her note, but a little research
shows the only place I can find a Highway 226 in ORegon is up just north of
Albany, in the Scio area. Keno, Oregon is on highway 66 which probably is
pretty close to the route that is described, until it intersects 97 and I
would imagine the route Benjamin and company took south from there is pretty
close to where 97 is today.

Les C

Yep, I caught that also.
I got lost in the description. It almost sounded like they went down to
the Medford area, then over to Klamath Falls area.   Then they went south
past Mt Shasta,  to Sacramento.  I'm not familiar enough with that area of
Oregon, would it have been easier to travel going that route, rather than
just straight south from Medford?

Roger