[or-roots] Trip to Oregon

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 18:12:16 PDT 2005

In a message dated 10/3/05 4:46:36 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
merritthome1 at cableone.net writes:
If you are not familiar with Oregon resources I would suggest the following
as good places to visit:

Multnomah County Public Library-Downtown http://www.multcolib.org/ (has a
card index to old newspapers by name)

Genealogical Forum of Oregon http://www.gfo.org/ (library - costs something
to visit and parking can be a challenge but it's got LOTS of information on
Oregon)

Oregon State Archives http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/ (has death certificates
you can copy in person (originals) for old records - if they exist - see the
Oregon Death Index - see their online index for other records)

Oregon State Library http://oregon.gov/OSL/  (I haven't been here in several
years but they did have some card files and surname files)

County Courthouses (see http://www.rootsweb.com/~orgenweb/counties.html for
more details on specific counties)

The public library in Lake Oswego had a genealogy section also (if my memory
is correct) and that is kind of near Wilsonville.

I will add to that list the Oregon Genealogical Society Library at 955 Oak
Alley
in Eugene. There is a great Oregon Room with information about every county
in
Oregon. There is a very comprehensive Lane County section if that area is of
interest.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~orlncogs/ogsinfo.htm

Searching the Oregon Historical Records Index  at

Oregon Historical Records Index
will help speed up your record gathering when at the Oregon State Archives

Linda VanOrden
Junction City, OR