[or-roots] Need ideas on where to locate death certificate

Trisha Neal trisch at charter.net
Mon Oct 3 19:16:40 PDT 2005

Hi!

I was contacted by a woman in California through Random Act of Kindness for
Genealogy who has been looking for a relative who died in Harbor, OR in
1919. The relative is supposedly buried in Crescent City, CA. She lived in
Texas at the time and was visiting her daughter in Brookings when she died.
I contacted a mortuary in Crescent City last week and he very kindly checked
his records and contacted the cemetery there but could not find a listing
for the woman.  Since the mortuaries that were there in 1919 have long been
closed, there is no way to contact them.

The Oregon Death Index and the California Death Index have been checked.
There is no record of her death in either index.  Her will was probated in
Texas where she had been living. Texas does not have a death certificate on
file either.  (Although you would think that would have been part of the
probate record.)

I know that there are listers from Brookings on this list so I am hoping
that someone may have an idea of who to check with next.  I have checked the
info online for the cemeteries in Brookings/Harbor but have not found the
woman there either.  Are there any Brookings/Harbor cemeteries that have
been walked but the info is not online?

I am heading to Portland next week and will be stopping at the State
Archives.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated about where else
to check.  My last resort is to drive to Crescent City and walk the cemetery
myself to see if I can find her.  A last resort, for sure. At least I know
what section to be checking so that eliminates quite a few graves. :-)

The person I am searching information on is: Arcanie (or Arcania) Wright.
She was born November 1846 in Georgia and died August 11, 1919 in Harbor,
with burial in Crescent City.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Trish

Giving 15 women their place in history! www.WrangellGarnetLedge.com
Random Acts of Kindness Volunteer for Coos County and Oregon Coast