[or-roots] Modocs and Grange

DanM wb at valiant.wvi.com
Sun Oct 9 08:51:37 PDT 2005

I would assume from the Story about Sam Matney as * Tule - dad * and friends
with the local Sheriff , from the genealogical paper I got, he was quite the
person looking for scraps with the Modocs, I guess in those days he was a
big shot dunno, I do know what I read and cant say I would want to relive
his life, and I cant say what he did was close to being right because at the
time those people believed it. My eldest Aunt who passed at 90 a few years
ago told me our family left the land they had there because of the fights
with the Modocs and moved to Oregon and got new lands and left the one in CA
for the Indians Don't know a lot of History why Walter kept going back but
he did, he bought and sold lands and did wagon fright. One of his brothers
James was a scout for the Army and led wagon trains from Salt lake to
Oregon, I was told though the Applegate trail. Another Brother Carrel took
up a DLC on the Applegate Ruch area lands near the river, there is a park
just down the road where we used to swim now. Walter took up about 57
instances of land deals time to time, I think I got most of them copied,
Walter was pres of the Verne Blue mines for a while and a Grange member in
Ruch/Applegate, Carrels son Jeff built the Methodist Church in Applegate,
and Carrel and sons were barn builders, lots of other brothers and their
dad, just still short on data.
   I don't go to Grange any more because of the gas, 36 mile round trip at
night <phooey> try that with a horse, gas gets much higher, horses are
coming back out >ya think?<
Dan M
www.wvi.com/~wb