[or-roots] Indian Wars

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sat Oct 15 19:36:22 PDT 2005

Well I now have in my posession, thanks to Heritage quest, a complete or
nearly so roster of the volunteers involved in the so called Indian wars of
abot 1855 in Oregon.

This appears in:
				Illustrated history of Lane County, Oregon
				Portland, Or.: A.G. Walling, 1884, 560 pgs.

Now for the problem, number one the majority of names are listed by initial,
eg.; Geuss' Minute Company.-Mustered at Fort hay, Illinois Valley, May 1,
1856L discharged June 20, 1856- Captian, John Guess; First Lt. Asher Moore;
2nd Lt. Stephen coleman; Seargeants, B. Kinchloe, W.J. Cross, W. S. Gibbs,
John McCord; cprporals, Peter McClinchy, F. Sebastian, E. s. Fite, Alfred
Dousitt, Thomas Arnett	.	.	.

You get the idea, a lot of incomplete names.

Second problem; there are eleven pages, I am willing to do a cursory search,
and if company is known am pretty confident I can find folks, but if all you
have is a name, I may be inclined to want to run off a copy of all eleven
pages and mail them to folks and let them search for kin!