[or-roots] Doug co names

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 13:42:45 PDT 2005

Bob;

I don't think any of these will be a surprise to you, I know you know all
the place names, but some of these I had not seen the origin (I assume) of
before;

Company E. Mustered October 12, 1855; discharged --- Captain William B.
Lewis;

Privates; J. Collins (This could be a stretch, but am betting his family is
connected to Collins Ridge), Jacob Hershbeger ( Hershberger Mtn), Joseph
Umpqua (backwards here, as he may be named for the stream or region if my
orphan conjecture were true), J.W. Picket (I believe he has a creek name as
well as Picket Butte, but my first day working on Tiller Ranger district we
did a site survey for reconstruction of the Pickett Bridge.)

Funny scanning the names it seemed like I saw more place names, may have
seen the name Jackson somewhere else and thought it was in this list.

Les

Subject: Re: [or-roots] Indian Wars - everybody else

Les, as a place name researcher of long duration (started doing it when I
was a college freshman (Douglas County primarily)  I am interested in you
Tiller names. Can you be more specific?  Bob