[or-roots] Gage bailey

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 14:05:15 PDT 2005

First quick short course on searching Heritage quest;

rule number one HQ only does a literal search on whatever character string
you give it; I tried "Thomas S. Gage" I THINK the 	quote marks get me only
the complete phrase, if you don't use quotes you will get all Thomas's and
all Gages they have

if you are not after someone's census page you go to the "search books"
option in the main menu page,

I tried two ways, searching for Thomas S. Gage turned up a bunch of bum
leads, about twenty hits, but when I opened up each one to go to the hit,
there were no hits in that book???

On with the lesson, when you type in what you are looking for in the search
page hit enter or click on search and you will get a page or more of
"results" which will each have a brief abstract of the publication (with
genealogy this is usually just title and subtitle as some subtitles are
longer than a standard abstract)

I recently learned a short cut, I had been clicking on view hits which takes
you to the table of contents of the book as they are digitized by HQ, but
now I click on view image which will take you to the opening page of the
book, there you can click on the arrow that should be just above the page
number box that will be pointing ahead in the book to the first hit, this
will take you to the first page with a reference to your search, sometimes
you will hit gold and find another genealogist's extensive work on the
ancestors etc of the poerson you are looking for, sometimes you will get
somebody whose first and middle name are the person you were looking for and
no connection what-so-ever and sometimes you will find a person like your
John Fitzhugh Culver who is (I believe) a great nephew of the John Fitzhugh
that started all this.

Now that everyone is thoroughly confused about whether this is an answer to
Denise's query about Thomas Gage or John F. Culver, the answer is the former
and I will now get on with it!!!

I couldn't come up with anything on HQ on YOUR Thomas S. Gage, so went to
good old Google and with a little work hit paydirt;

*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*
From; http://users.wi.net/~census/lesson40.html		a web site by one of our
listers

The Battle of Middle Creek

 Among the efficient organizations of 1855-1856 was Cpt. James Burns'
infantry company.
 This was a small company. Cpt. Burns was employed scouting through the
mountains usually with four or five men. Their business was to locate the
Indian camps that were laid away in the mountains.

 About six weeks after the Battle of Olalla Cpt. Burns, with three or four
men, located the Indian camp at a point now known as Camp B in Cow Creek
Canyon. At that time Cow Creek Canyon was almost an unexplored country, yet
there was a well-defined Indian trail from Cow Creek Valley over the
mountain to Middle Creek and over another to the Indian camp.

 When Cpt. Burns discovered the Indians early in the morning, a dense fog
covered the canyon. He was so close to them that he could hear their voices
and smell the smoke from their fires.

 When Cpt. Burns made his report, Col. Martin immediately assembled all the
available forces at Glenbrook
all about 400 men, composed of Cpt. Gordon's, Cpt. W. W. Chapman's, Cpt.
Joseph Barley's and some detachments of other companies. Something over
three weeks was spent in assembling this small army, and much of this time
was spent in drilling the men, which was, to say the least, highly absurd.
With his own old "nose" loading gun the manual of arms was no benefit to
him.

 During the assembling of this army the Riddles moved back from Roseburg to
Glenbrook, William remaining in Roseburg to conduct his blacksmith business.

 The stockade had been placed on two sides of the Riddles' log house, the
stockade projecting past a corner on each side so as to have a clear view on
every side and holes were made between the logs upstairs, from which to fire
their rifles.

 From the preparations made by Col. Martin, he must have thought that he was
going out to attack the whole hostile tribes and their numbers were always
exaggerated. The Indians at Camp B at that time might have numbered 40,
judging from the number of huts left by them.

 When Col. Martin's preparations were finally made his army was marched over
the mountains to Middle Creek, the first day about eight miles, and on the
next day they marched over the mountains from Middle Creek to the Indian
camp. They found the camp but no Indians. With all the preparations and
noise of two days march, the Indians were fully advised of their approach
and simply faded away into the many timbered rocky gulches of the mountains.

 Col. Martin had marched his army down the mountain to the deserted Indian
camp and there was nothing left to be done but to march his army back up the
mountain the way he had come. But the volunteers were not to get out of the
mountains without casualties.

 About one mile from the Indian encampment there was a beautiful prairie of
a few acres, almost level land on the side of the mountain and with
convenient water. Cpt. Joseph Bailey obtained permission to encamp there
during the night and pitched his camp under some trees, the ground dropping
off into a steep timbered gulch immediately from the camp.

 Bailey took no precautions but allowed his men to build bonfires around
which they were engaged in wrestling and having a good time. The Indians
approached the camp from the timbered side of the bluff, firing into the
crowd of men assembled around the fire. John L. Gardner was instantly killed
and Thomas S. Gage mortally wounded, expiring the following day.

 Returning from the expedition, the dead whiteboys were carried upon litters
and were left at the Riddle house. Gardner was interred in the Riddle family
cemetery, and Gage's body was taken to Brockway for internment.

 During the evening, after the return, when several of the officers were
stopping at the Glenbrook, and discussing the events, some of them suggested
that it was too dangerous for families to remain where they were. Maximilla
lost patience and addressed them about as follows: "You gentlemen seem to
forget that those two boys back there are lying dead through your
incompetence, and as to leaving my home again, all I ask of you is to leave
my boys with me, and we will take care of ourselves."

 A few days after the above occurrences Cpt. Gordon's company was discharged
and a new company was organized with Edward Sheffield as captain, in which
William II was enrolled.

 The events narrated above have no mention in either F. F. Victor's or A. G.
Walling's Oregon histories although the entire northern battalions were
engaged for nearly a month. If they could only have exchanged a few shots
with Indians, Victor's The Early Indian Wars of Oregon (1894) could have
described a great battle in which several hundred Indians were engaged and
uncounted Indians murdered, etc.

*	*	*	*	*	*

Now the interesting thing is I find Captain Bailey's company; Company A
which I had mentioned before, and there is a J.L. Gardner listed but no
Gage? There is an A. Gage listed in one of the other companies, but again I
don't understand why J.L. is here and not Thomas?

also;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~smithhouse/smithgen/smithfam/index.
htm#TOC

is a web home page for Stephen Smith (now there's an unusual name)

where at;
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~smithhouse/smithgen/smithfam/aqwg30
7.htm

is found;

Joseph Gage was born 1799 in , , North Carolina. He married Francis
Livingston on 21 Sep 1820 in , Howard, Missouri.

 Francis Livingston was born 1800. She died 25 Apr 1878 in Umatilla,
Umatilla, Oregon. Francis married Joseph Gage on 21 Sep 1820 in , Howard,
Missouri.
 	They had the following children:

   M i  Jesse Gage was born Oct 1822 in , Ray, Missouri.

   M ii William C Gage was born 27 Oct 1825 and died 9 Jun 1891.
   M iii Alexander Gage was born 10 May 1827 and died 19 Mar 1868.
   M iv  Samuel Gage was born 1831 in , , Missouri.
    F v  Margaret Gage "Millie" was born 1834 in , , Missouri.
    M vi  Edmond Robert Gage was born 1836 in , , Missouri.
    M vii  Thomas S Gage was born 1839 in , , Missouri. He died 21 Jan 1856
in Winston, Douglas, Oregon.

Is this the same Thomas S.?  I find no listing for Thomas in Doug County
cemeteries.

Les C

Subject: Re: [or-roots] Indian Wars

I looked on Heritage Quest and couldn't find the "list" you mention. <Grin>
I was going to look for my Gage, Gilliam, Kent and other family names but I
don't know how to "search" on the Heritage Quest pages.  I did find the book
you mentioned.  I believe Thomas S. Gage was killed in the Rogue River
Indian Wars on Grave Creek with Captain Joseph Bailey (d. 21 Jan 1856 at
about 17 years of age).		.	.	.

Denise Merritt