[or-roots] more christmas

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun Oct 23 18:18:29 PDT 2005

Bob;

Your Jade plant must be pretty old to be that big, as I recall ours was at
least six or eight years old.

I acutally planned to skip Christmas once while I was in Peace Corps. For
reasons I don't currently recall I was staying at my site over Christmas and
so pretty much ignored it. I had been collecting height and diameter info on
a patch of trees and went to work as usual Christmas day. My laborers were
good Moslems and I don't recall they even noted that it was Christmas day
when we started working. After I had been working a couple of hours another
laborer came walking up to deliver an order from my boss to come to his
house and "what the heck was I doing working on Christmas?"

My boss was married to a German lady and she had NOT converted to Islam to
marry him, so I had Christmas dinner with them and took the rest of the day
off, Bosses orders!

Then there was the time I showed up late for the Peace Corps Christmas party
in Tehran and the head of PC was so glad I showed up when I did because he
was just about to send my family a telegram notifying them that I was dead.
Seems the bus I would ordinarily have been riding had gone off the road in
the mountains and all on board were dead, including several foreigners.
Problem was, when I went to get on the bus that morning, too my good fortune
the seats were all full.

By the way for anyone keeping track I consider that one of my nine lives.

Les C

PS, I always have a good time on my birthday, it's a week from tomorrow!