[or-roots] Mystery Photo

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Thu Sep 1 19:43:49 PDT 2005

Denise;

Your problem presents a quandry, is that Mrs E. M. as in wife of Erwin M
whom I find in Crook count in 1910 census boarding with the Robinsons? He is
listed as single, age 26 and born in Kansas; unfortunately he seems to
disappear in 1920, there being only two Erwin heads of household in Heritage
index, one in NY and one in Kansas, both with wrong middle initial, no sign
of him in Oregon archives; as a matter of fact very few folk named Tiffany
there.

I think it more likely that your Mrs E. M. is either Emily M. wife of
William;

1920  >  OREGON  >  MULTNOMAH  >  PORTLAND; 194 1/2-PCT
Series: T625  Roll: 1501  Page: 165
Surname  GivenName  Age  Sex  Race  Birthplace  State  County  Location
Year
 TIFFANY  WILLIAM H  37  M  W  NE  OR  MULTNOMAH  PORTLAND; 194 1/2-PCT
1920

 she is listed as 38 b. Cal. with dau emma J(?) age 8 b. Or and Esther M age
6 b. OR

Or she could be of the Tiffany family that were once illustrious merchants
in Lane County;

but for that to be the case she would have to be FM , Frances M wife of
Albert. If my memory serves and we all know how unlikely that is, but I
think Frances and Albert were the Tiffanys that I grew up hearing about
thier business almost as much as the Kaufman's, anyway I am betting on
Emily.

On an amusing note I found an Oliver Tiffany age 76 listed as son-in-law of
a 46 and 44 year old couple in Multnomah county, since he is widowed I
suspect the census taker meant father-in-law.

Unfortunately of the 63 heads of Household in Multnomah co. in 1920 none are
in the 194 1/2 pct and I wouldn't have a clue which precinct to look for for
Madison and of course that might be a red herring as that MIGHT be where the
picture was taken.

There are eight C. Jacobson's in that lot; Carl 5 x Chas, Chris and Clara,
none having middle initial E though since only Carl and one of the Chas are
listed that doesn't mean much.

Les C

>snip

The photo is of a family group - Dad & Mom sitting by a table with 8
children around them (ages appear to be probably adult male 24 down to a 2
yr old - guesstimates).  There is no photo studio imprint or clues on the
front.  The back of the photo says:

Mrs. E. M Tiffany, Hillsboro; Mrs. C.E. Jacobson, 350 Madison

I do not have either of these names in my family database of relatives but I
also couldn't locate them in my census searches yet.  I'm guessing the photo
is from 1900-1920 time period but I'm not an educated guesser necessarily.

Any ideas?

Denise Merritt

<snip