[or-roots] Huh? 60 years ago

E V Barnes evbarnes at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 5 12:36:17 PDT 2005

To Walt:

We hit San Francisco in mid '35 and lo they still had horse
drawn water vehicles with horse drawn street sweepers.
The trucks on the embarcadero were all chain driven w/
hard rubber tires.  I can still see the old Mac truck that
delivered wood to my grandparents out on SE 68th.
That was time when the Iceman was a man with leather
to protect him, and large tongs to haul 25-50 lb cubes.
My grandmother was the first on the block to get and
electric refrigerator about 1934.

My parents had a summer cabin in Northern CA. and it
had a 1928-29 GE frig with one ice tray.  And it really
froze things.  The also had a wood stove and a cylindrical
gas heater about the size of a car muffler.  You opened
the front cast door and lit it with a match.  Very hot
water in just a few minutes.  Noisy tin shower.

Gene