[or-roots] Some General Info

CKlooster at aol.com CKlooster at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 23:26:17 PDT 2005

There seems to be a huge increase in malware and hijacker spyware cropping
up on computers in our  clinic and offices during the past few weeks.
Firewalls, spam blockers, pop-up blockers and antivirus programs are a big help,  but
I also find it useful to run anti-spyware.  There are two good programs  that
are free...one is Spybot Search and Destroy by Kolla.  The other is Ad
Aware.  I run those programs after every internet session.  It takes a  few
minutes, but I can attest to the fact that cleaning up a computer loaded  with
tracking and spyware takes much longer.  Even though I have seveal  layers of
protection on my home computer including firewall, spam blockers,  pop-up blockers,
and McAffee, Ad Aware always picks up from ten to forty  tracking
cookies/spyware each time I run it.  Ad Aware seems to pick up  more spyware, but Spybot
S&D also immunizes your computer against the known  variants.so both are
useful.  Beware of other sound-alike and look-alike  anti-spy programs.  Some of
them are actually hijacker software and others  provide a short free trial and
then demand payment  to use or to remove the  programs.

If your computer is running much slower than it used to, it may be
struggling through spyware quicksand.

Carla