[or-roots] Victory Gardens

Cecil Houk cchouk at cox.net
Thu Sep 22 00:44:34 PDT 2005

I was 4 years old when my father bought the remaining 20 acres of the Shea property just east of Foster, OR.  This was in 1943 and in the middle of WWII.

People were encouraged to grow their own vegetables, and we tried to do our part.  I had a small garden plot near the east end of the house that did produce some good veggies.  My father planted several things (beets, turnips, melons) on the upper east of the property.  Well....  The neighbor's cow came over and ate most of the greens, and smashed all of the melons.

I think my dad said that he would eat that cow if it got loose again.

Cecil Houk, ET1 USN Ret.
PO Box 530833
San Diego CA 92153
FAX 619-428-6434
mailto:cchouk at cox.net
ANDERSON - BLAKELY - FORD - HOUK - KIMSEY - MOE - RULAFORD - SIMPSON
Searchable GEDCOM: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/~cchouk
My web page MENU: http://members.cox.net/~cchouk/