[or-roots] Dorothy - Ann / Pamela Huff / buttermilk / remember portland

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Thu Sep 22 19:04:32 PDT 2005

Dorothy and Anne; I see in your family tree you have a Prine, any relation
to the Prines of Prineville?

I had always wondered what the origin of that name was when a year or two
ago chasing Census for someone on the list found a family of Prines living
in that area, I assume they are who the town was named for.

The two links that I believe Anne (?) posted were very interesting. I didn't
read thoroughly, but from what I saw in the Steinfeld story, it sounded like
his ancestors may have been Hutterites or some such, I recently read an
article from a 1970's National Geographic about the Hutterites, the left the
Ukraine because they were pacifists and the Russians didn't make any
allowance for that in their conscription policies, unfortunately they ran
into the same problem in WWI here and most left for Canada, as of the time
of the article significant numbers of them had moved back to the US.

Pamela;

Ordinarily your great grand's homestead records should be availabe online,
even if he didn't prove up, but BLM is undergoing one of thier periodic
security updates that they have been fighting over for years now. There is
some concern that a hacker could access private BIA records or somesuch
through the GLO site, and every time Interior thinks the issue is settled
they bring another suit and shut the website down again, either that or they
are haveing other hacking problems, the Feds are great at running obsolete
puters into the ground and then jumping on some hairbrained band wagon as
bad or worse than the Oregon DOT licensing fiasco of a few years back.

Remember, the scariest sentence in the english language is; We're the
government, we're here to help!

Anyway get back to me in a few weeks about his homesteads and I will try
again.

Les C
reedsportchapmans at verison.net

I never cared much for Buttermilk, either sweet or sour, but love cottage
cheese, prferably with pineapple thouhg my wife has taught me to like it
with other fruit, even watermellon.

I wonder if Walt could be allergic to milk, that might make him a little
uneenthusiastic about milk producst, I am very allergic to it, but growing
up on a farm, learned to love the stuff even while it was making me spend
every October to April with one continuous cold/ sore throat/ cough etc.

In the 1960's my folks managed a place for family across the river here and
the cousins bought out a neighbor whose house you can still see from the elk
Refuge east of Reedsport, or if you want to Eagle watch in the spring, they
are nesting on the hill right above his house (best view point at the weigh
station just before you hit the city limits) and when they bought him out
they got his pet cow, an old jersy name Jingo (Jingle, that darn memory  of
mine) who produced milk that when we ran it through the seperator produce
about one third cream two thirds skim milk that looked more like blue paint.

We used to pour that cream over cerial or cottage chees or ice cream or
whatever, it was better than whipped cream without all the effort.

One of my favorite memories of portland was going to some business downtown,
don't know exactly where but it was kind of in the neighborhood where the
big used to be hippy book store is now, but what impressed me was their
vacume tube mechanism for sending stuff to different departments. I don't
even remember what kind of store it was, nor more than it seems like the
vacuum system was mostly involved when it came time to pay, like the clerk
sent your ten spot somwhere and back came your Paid invoice and change or
some such. But it always fascinated me.