[or-roots] Jantzen Beach

CARROLLOUC at aol.com CARROLLOUC at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 13:27:33 PDT 2005

Sorry - guess I goofed on this memory. I too had relatives who were flooded
out when the second dike broke two weeks after Vanport - my parents and
grandmother's houses in Parkrose were flooded. At the time of the first break  that
wiped out Vanport my husband and I lived in University Homes on Columbia
Blvd. We walked to the edge of the cliff above Vanport and viewed the flood
first hand. I had forgotten that Jantzen Beach stood alone on Hayden  Island.

Carroll:

SORRY, ONE HAD VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH THE OTHER.   VANPORT WAS IN 1948 AND I
REMEMBER IT WELL.  I HAD RELATIVES THAT WERE  CAUGHT IN THE FLOOD.  I AM NOT
SURE WHEN JANTZEN WAS TAKEN APART BUT NOT  IN 1948.  WE WENT EVERY YEAR FOR THE
SCOTTISH GAMES.  MY DAD'S AUNT  LINED ALL THE KIDS UP AND GAVE EACH A SHINY
NEW DIME.  WENT A LONG WAYS  THEN.
GARY IN AZ.