[or-roots] Genealogy and Family History

CKlooster at aol.com CKlooster at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 18:42:57 PDT 2005

I've done worked on my family lines since the early 1970's and it
complimented nicely an interest in history and an inate curiousity.  It was
frustrating, however, to have names and places and dates but no stories handed  down to
flesh these ancestors out.  I was content with that until some  information
about the support group called Adult Children of Alcohol  Parents and
Dysfunctional Families  crossed my desk one day.  I  scanned through it because it
pertains to my job...and suddenly something struck  me, so I read the material.  I
realized then that whether or not we are  children of alcoholic parents and
dysfunctional families, who and what our  ancestors were has a definite impact on
who we are as people...and I'm not just  talking about brown eyes or curly
hair.  Here is a story that was told  at a national mental health meeting that I
attended:

A new husband watched fondly as  his young wife prepared dinner in the
kitchen of their apartment.  She  placed a pot roast on the cutting board and
carefully sliced it in half.   She then placed the meat in a roasting pan with one
slice piled precisely on top  of the other and put it in the over.  Puzzled,
the man asked why she'd cut  the roast in two.  "That's the way you cook pot
roast" she replied, "My mom  makes the best pot roast and that's the way she
cooks it.".  The next time  they were at his in-law's house the young man brought
up the subject of pot  roast, "I'm curious about why you cut the roast in
two." he said.  The  mother-in-law looked at him with a puzzled expression and
replied, " I don't  know why it needs to cook that way, I guess because it cooks
better.  My  mother always cooked hers that way.".  Once the subject had been
raised,  there was much discussion and nobody had a definitive answer.  "I'll
settle  this," the mother-in-law said, "I'll call my mother and ask her  why."
  Grandma answered the telephone and the question was put to  her; there was
a long pause and Grandma said, "I don't know why you cut the  roast in half,
but I had to because I only had a very small roasting  pan.".

The point of this is that traits and beliefs and ideas are often passed
along to us unwittingly.  One technigue taught by ACOA is to do a  family
inventory.  You begin with the earliest ancestor that you know  and write down
eveyrthing that you know about them...dates and places; how  many children in their
family; how old their parents were; how old they were  when they married and
began to have children; family legends;  occupation...everything you can think
of.  For the furthest back ancestors  that may only be a name and a date and a
place.  You work forward, taking  each person as an individual and writing
down eveything you know or have  heard.  Once you have completed this task (and
it's a lot more  difficult for those of us who've been doing genealogy for
awhile) you start  looking at what was going on in the world at the time these
people were alive  and thinking of how it may have impacted their lives.  I have
an ancestor  who was in the Civil War.  At 25 he married a very young girl and
 promptly moved with her to Indiana/Illinois where his parents lived.
Leaving her pregnant and with his parents, he went off to war.  There  she was,
young, pregnant, and living with her in-laws far from her own  family.  When
Johnny came marching home again he stayed just long enough  for her to become
pregnant a second time before he went off to  the silver mines of California
leaving her behind still with the  in-laws.  It wasn't until several years later
that he went back to Illinois  and gathered up his family to move them to
Oregon.  I know only the barest  facts about this branch of the family, but after
doing this exercise they became  more than just names and dates.  When I look at
the lives of their children  I begin to see more of pattern.  It's
interesting to see that some patterns  are traceable through a number of
generations...sometimes right down to  me!

If you do this sort of exercise and make a timeline of what was happening  in
the world, you can add quite a bit to the portrait of an ancestor who has
only been a name and date.  A picture and a pattern often begins to  appear.
Letters and journals and memoirs are terrific when you can  find them, but far
too few ancestors leave us that sort of record.

So yes, on this list we often digress, but those disgressions add to the
history...even if the history is comparatively recent.

And, as can be seen by the number of facts that quickly appear as the  result
of most queries, we actually do some genealogical research from time to  time!

Carla