[or-roots] Question on 1860 census

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Tue Sep 27 09:17:33 PDT 2005

First let me say that I have an extracted book of the Linn County 1860
census if anyone would like me to look something up for them.  Second I
have a question regarding the wording that I don't understand.  In the
column of the census where it would give occupation or whether children
were in school what does the term "serving" mean?  I have two young men
listed that way and I don't know what it means.  The father is listed as
a farmer, wife as keeping house, the young children listed as at school,
one daughter listed as works outside the home as a servant and these two
young men as "serving".

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

Dale