[or-roots] Batzner etc

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun Feb 12 08:04:30 PST 2006

Ann;
I tried to send this off list as html but I guess I am not on your list of
allowed people so will post it here as plain text;
have you looked in the 1881 Canadian Census on LDS? if not here is what I
found;

Les C

 Name  Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation
Religion
 Margaret BATZNER   W   Female   German   52   Germany      Presbyterian
 Ida BATZNER      Female   German   18   O <Ontario>   Shoe Fitters
Presbyterian
 Mary BATZNER      Female   German   28   USA   Music Teacher   Presbyterian

----
Source Information:
  Census Place Ward 3, London, Middlesex, Ontario
  Family History Library Film   1375906
  NA Film Number   C-13270
  District   170
  Sub-district   C
  Division   1
  Page Number   13
  Household Number   61

 Name  Marital Status Gender Ethnic Origin Age Birthplace Occupation
Religion
 William CLARKE   M   Male   Welsh   35   O <Ontario>   Telegraph Operator
Congregationalist
 Philopbe CLARKE   M   Female   German   25   USA      Congregationalist
 William L. CLARKE      Male   Welsh   --- Born: 1 7/12   O <Ontario>
Congregationalist

----

Source Information:

  Census Place Ward 3, London, Middlesex, Ontario
  Family History Library Film   1375906
  NA Film Number   C-13270
  District   170
  Sub-district   C
  Division   1
  Page Number   13
  Household Number   60

*	*	*	*	*

I had no luck finding Daniel and Bessie, I searched for Bessie with head of
household Daniel with no luck, also tried Elizabeth with Daniel, checked all
832 hits, no last name even remotely resembled Batzner, closest was
Batchelder, guess maybe I should have looked at that one. Only was able to
find William and Philopbe because they were in Middlesex county.

Les C.

*	*	*	*	*

Thank you Darlene!  Ontario Canada.  Daniel & Bessie.  They might be spelled
BATZNER or BASTNER or BATSNER...that is how I have found them in other
records, including cemetery records on the OCFA site.  They had 2 sons.  I
don't know if anyone else from his family lived into the 20th century.  A
sister, Philibena  Philapena Batzner married a William Clark--but I think
she died before 1900.  Parents were John Michael and Margaret (Maime)Batzner
who came to Canada from Indiana (Brookville, Franklin Co.) in 1861.  You'll
love this--its right out of a B western movie.....Michael was the town
SHERRIFF and county TREASURER.  He had alot of money in real esate--the 1860
census shows him with several thousand dollars in property and
holdings....so what does he do?  STEALS the country treasury, worth an
estimated 25-$30,000 and SPLIT to Canada, taking his family with him.  A
wanted man in the US, he lived the rest of his live (to 1871) in Canada and
is buried there.