[or-roots] WW1 Draft Notices. FYI

Robert Gust rgust at netins.net
Sun Jan 1 04:46:23 PST 2006

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
about Clarence Fred Drescher
Name: Clarence Fred Drescher
City: Chicago
County: Cook
State: Illinois
Birth Date: 07 Dec 1883
Race: White
Roll: 1439758
DraftBoard: 13
Age: View Image
Occupation: View Image
Nearest Relative: View Image
Registration Place: View Image
Height: View Image
Build: View Image
Color of Eyes: View Image
Color of Hair: View Image
Signature: View Image

The WWI draft registration cards contain a lot of information pertinent to genealogical research. Information that may be found on these cards includes full name, address, age, date of birth, race, citizenship, occupation, employers name, location of employment, name and address of nearest relative, physical description, and signature of registrant, among other things. Use the information found in this database to fill in details about your ancestor's life. Then, use the information as a springboard to lead you to other records. For example, if the address of your ancestor is listed on the draft card, use that information to find your ancestor in a city directory and then trace your ancestor through that city's directories for as many years as you can.

The draft cards are also a good source for finding immigrant information because all young men were required to register, regardless of U.S. citizen status, and since 1880-1920 was a high immigration period, a large portion of immigrant men registered and gave information of birth date, birthplace, and in some cases their father's birthplace and nearest relative.

Search Hints
1. Persons already in the military did not register.
2. Surnames, first names, and maiden names were sometimes mixed up, so if you don't find an ancestor under their surname, type their surname into another search field.
3. Men who resided in British territories sometimes listed themselves simply as British citizens without noting their origin in Canada, Australia, Ireland, Jamaica, etc.
4. Illiterate men were unable to spell their names and birth location, so look for varying spelling variations by the literate individual who filled out the form. There could also be complications if the immigrant's native language was not English.
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-18 [database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2002. National Archives and Records Administration. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. M1509, 4,277 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.

This is one example of a card  I found.  It list relative as Barbara Drescher La Grange Mo as nearest relateive. This was his mother.  I consider this to be a primary source for Clarence as he filled out the information himself. I also noticed that all the Drescher sons who had cards  had gray eyes.
A great resource and what I referred to in the prior message.
Susie