[or-roots] Rootsweb Obit Daily Times

Chris Havnar jchavnar at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 1 21:56:49 PST 2006

Actually, according to the ODT website at Rootsweb:

"The Obituary Daily Times mailing list is intended mostly (but not only)
for Family Historians, researchers and compilers (ex. researching all of
ONE FAMILY). The Obituary Daily Times is an index of published obituaries
across the world. Regular contributors (volunteers) can request information
about particular obituaries between themselves.

"WE DO NOT HAVE THE ACTUAL OBITUARIES. Regular volunteers may request a
particular copy from each other. For others, GEN-OBIT is an easy way to
find a publication date of an obit. You can then refer to the newspaper to
get a copy of it (at the library or directly with the newspaper itself).

"Sillhp" is the ODT name of the contributor - ODT asks that the names
contributors use not be real names or words so that a search engine does
not click on the contributors code name.

Unfortunately, the Grants Pass Daily Courier does not have obits on line at
their website, so you need to find someone with access to the newspaper to
find the November 21, 2005 issue for your obit.  The Daily Courier does
advertise their own research, but $20 per hour plus copy fees is steep.

Now if Dolores indexed her local hometown paper, even if it was a weekly,
she would have access to other contributors for an obit for a specified
period after it was announced on the newslist.