[or-roots] timing of the front

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Mon Jan 9 14:37:15 PST 2006

Carla;

You are forgetting that storms move in a front, in Western Oregon generally
speaking our "weather" comes from the Southwest and moves thence in a
northeasterly direction, so a storm that you saw in Canyonville at two pm
and moving at 50 mph wouldn't reach Portland until six pm, and mind you that
is a fast moving storm, my partner and I had a job in Springfield this
summer and often we would leave the coast in a rain storm, arrive at the job
site in good weather and up to three hours later the rain would catch up to
us. Also assuming that the front doesn't pause along the way, I know of a
couple of storms in my life that have done that and really raised heck where
they paused.

Les C

Subject: Re: [or-roots] typhoon

I'm a little puzzled by your post...it sounds as though you are describing
the storm hitting at night.  In the area of S. Oregon where I was living at
the time (Canyonville on the I-5 corridor) the storm was mid to late
afternoon.  It blew through and was gone in fairly short order although it
was somewhat windy through the evening and night following. We all stood at
the window (not such a bright idea in retrospect) of the English Classroom
in Canyonville High School and watched big pieces of metal roofing cartwheel
down the street. It seems that we really didn't feel the brunt of the storm
because damage in our area was relatively minor...trees down and power out
(but that happens every winter); damage to farm buildings, etc.  The storm
seemed to follow the S. Umpqua River with damage greater in that area.  My
grandparents lived near LaCenter, Washington and their farm lost a huge old
barn that was solid and in good repair when it blew down.  So it would seem
to me that the storm was much stronger as it came along the Columbia River.

Carla