[or-roots] Springfield cemetery-one more time

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Mon Jan 16 19:21:45 PST 2006

Diane;

I was in Springfield today and went to see how much of a job it would be to
find David's grave. I am sorry to report that "sad state of repair" doesn't
begin to describe how the situation is. There are about eight or nine
headstones gathered in front of the sign board at the entrance to the
cemeter, three of the pillar type place in an upright position and the rest
are embedded in a concrete slab in front of them. I didn't think about this
fast enough to have sense to take my camera along or I would just set up a
web page somewhere with what's left for the edification of others who
stumble across our discussion in their searches, hopefully maybe before too
long I can still do that for what it is worth. Unfortunately one of the
surviving stones was not a Watkins.

I swung by city hall to see if I could find anything there but of course
they were closed for the holiday. I will ask Sis-in-law if they have
anything at CG Gen Soc.

The good news is the grounds are in fairly good shape, it is a city park
now, you turn south on 2nd st which is first street east of the willamette
river bridge between Glenwood and Springfield, go south about three blocks
to S. C Street where you turn left or east for about a block and a half, the
cemetery will be on the left prominently marked as Pioneer Park with a large
wooden sign which I drove right past without noticeing. I drove up the
street and turned past the UPS plant and stopped and asked some of the folks
in the neighborhood where it was, they must have thought I was a complete
ditz since they had just watched me drive right by it.

Les C.

In reading old family records, I see a notation on David Watkins.  Now, I
have been trying to find out where this fellow rests for a long time.  In
small faded print, I read---"Burial---Springfield, Oregon ...old p"   Is
there a old Pioneer Cemetry in Springfield?  He died 4 June 1889.  Thanks,
Diane