[or-roots] Ordnance, Oregon

Trisha Neal trisch at charter.net
Tue Jan 31 13:45:04 PST 2006

Per Oregon Geographic Names:  In the fall of 1941 the War Department put
into commission an establishment in the north part of Umatilla County, with
the name Umatilla Ordnance Depot. On Dec 6, 1943, Ordnance post office was
established to serve this depot with Lorena Lane Bounds first postmaster.

You will hate me...because I had copied a couple of newspaper stories with
photos of the buildings, etc. when I was researching related information for
someone in the Pendleton newspaper East-Oregonian.  However, I don't think I
have them any more...but at least you have some dates to use for searching
microfilm of the newspapers. Actually, the newspaper had several stories
about the Depot so if you are searching for information it would probably
generate a lot of info by requesting the newspapers for that time period.

Trish
Coos Bay, OR