[or-roots] More Shaw in Oregon

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue Jul 4 10:37:42 PDT 2006

Dale;

I am going to dump a lot of undoubtedly useless (to you) info in this email
as I have learned two things the hard way in my genealogy wanderings, there
is no such thing as truly "useless" information (see definition of negative
genealogy) and many times those connections you are sure are not relevant to
your quest often turn out to be siblings or cousins that create a mosaic
that leads you back to what you are actually after because you didn't have
all the facts you thought you had to begin with. I have filed "useless"
information away in a cubbyhole a number of times and months or years later
revisited it to discover the reason it was "useless" was because the "good"
information I had from somewhere else was based on nicknames or folk that
liked to give the census taker a differant name every time.

Les C

Genealogical material in Oregon donation land claims
Portland, Or.?: The Forum?, 1957-, 809 pgs.

page 3_142	[Roseburg]

1965 Racjkuffm Alexabder E., Douglas Co;b 1818, Lincoln Co, Me; Arr Ore 17
July 1851; SC 21 July 1851/6 Mar 1854; m. Eliza Shaw 14 Dec 1839, Lincoln
Co. Me. Aff; Socrates Scholfield, Geo Vincent, John Nicholson

[comment; two things tell me this lady probably isn't connected to you-she
is from Maine, and the Affadavit (sp?) names indicate to me this homested is
probably near here in Reedsport]

on page 3_88 there is an H. Shaw who gave an afadavit on Samuel Clifford's
claim in Lane Co

on page 3_117 H. is again listed as the claim neighboring John Leisure
(Leasure-Lasme)[??] of general interest here is that another neighbor was
E.F. Skinner which for those not steeped in Oregon history happens to be the
fellow the city of Eugene is named for.

page 3_121

1694 Shaw, Hilyard, Lane Co; b 1800, Rockingham Co, N.H.; Arr Ore 1 Oct
1846; SC 25 June/ 1 Aug 1849. 27 June 1862 signed O of A. Aff: Wm & PErcy
Smith.

[first of all it looks like my interpretation of O of A has nothing to do
with being foreign born; I am sure H in the two previous entries is Hilyard,
I don't believe I ever knew where that street name came from before. I will
probably skip the other two homestead entries for him, if someone else sees
this and has an interest in Hilyard, I would be glad to transcribe them for
them.]

[turns out they are just affadavits of no interest here]

[NOW we get to the good stuff;]

page 3-5

69 Shaw, John, Douglas Co; b. 1798 Shenandoah Co, Va; Arr Ore 2 Sept 1851;
SC 15 Aug 1852; ma Nancy 1821, OH.

page 3_46

679 Shaw, John, Douglas Co; b 1824, Bourbon Co., Ky; Arr Ore abt 15 Oct
1852; SC 1 Dec 1854

[apparently unrelated to Dale's Shaw, this guy obviously throws a giant
monkey wrench in any Shaw research in Douglas County as much more info than
just the name will be required to determine if the info is relevant!!!]

[next entry in Shaw listing is for Affadavit already transcribed under
McCumber]

page 3_42

618 Shaw, William, Douglas Co; b 1826, Lincoln Co, Mo; Arr Ore 29 Oct 1853;
SC 1 Oct/ Dec 1855.

[great, now we can come to one of two conclusions, since Wm and John Shaw
are both listed on the McCumber Affadavit I assumed Wm was connected with
John and Nancy and that was the John listed there, a conclusion that would
seem to be born out by Wm's place and time of birth being west of John and
Nancy's place of Marriage, but on further checking, geography doesn't rule
out John b 1824 as their child, as Bourbon Co is up against the Ohio border,
and Missouri was the eventual jumping off point for the way west, we can
"assume" that both William and John b. 1826 "could" be John and Nancy's
children. Or we can assume since both John b. 1826 and Wm arrived at
different times than John and Nancy, that there is no connection, I had
thought on first reading they arrived together, but rereading I note they
all arrived in different years, so am less inclined to give that fact any
weight.]

Volume One
page 1-14

349 Shaw, George W., Marion Co; b 1827 Clay Co, Mo; SC 10 Mar 1851; m Jane
12 Feb 1851, Marion Co., Ore. T.; Went to Cal. Sept 1848 returned May 1850.
Aff John Cox, Hardin McCallister, Willburn King.

[I throw him in because time and place of birth "might" make him a sib to
John and Wm listed above.]

[places of birth and timing make me dubious of the rest, there are actually
25 entries in volume on for Shaw including two Aff for Geo W.;]

page 1_13

323 Shaw, Thomas C., Marion Co; b. 1823 Clay Co, Mo; SC 21 Jan 1851; m
Josephine 28  Nov 1850, Marion Co., ore. t. Aff Wm. Greenwood, Elias Cox

[Clay co birth and time would seem to me to connect Thomas and Geo W and
eliminate them from any connection to the Douglas Co Shaws]

[okay, it is highly likely they are children of William b. 1795 Wake Co NC
and Sarah m 11 Dec 1822/3 Clay Co Mo; page 1_20]

I am going to close out the Shaws with that.