[or-roots] Re: Vancouver boarding schools

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net glenkc7mbm at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 06:49:20 PDT 2006

Hi Joseph
The Sister's of Charity were in Vancouver, I have copies of testimony that my father and his adopted family had to go through for him to get part of his real mothers estate, the Sister's did not maintain the records, and the current sister's are not sure where they are at.
Of course this was in 1883 so who knows if there are any records.
Glenkc7mbm

--
Glen A. Jones

From: "Joseph Noecker" <jnoecker at qwest.net>
Sorry my reply is so much later.  Waverly Children's Home in Portland, which is still in existence serves behavioral and emotionally disturbed kids now, but originally it was an orphanage and adoption center.  It started way back in the 1800's.  I don't know what records may still exist, but worth a call.

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net wrote:
Bill
Interesting sites I was not aware of them.
My father was born in 1883 and placed for adoption with the Sisters Of Charity that summer and I had not gotton around to inquire of them where to find the adoption records, I see they do not have them.
I had thought of Providence when I seen the other inquiry about boarding scools,but did not post it glad you did.
Glen Jones Vice President Clark County Genealogical Society

--
Glen A. Jones

From: Chris & Bill Strickland <lechevrier at earthlink.net>
http://cf.clark.edu/pdf/media/FortVancouverTapestry.pdf

THE FORT VANCOUVER TAPESTRY PROJECT

The dream began in 1999.
The mission: to honor and celebrate the history of Clark County, Washington through the beauty and narrative of a hand-stitched tapestry.
The result is the Fort Vancouver Tapestry, measuring 108 feet long and 28 inches high.
It is believed to be the only textile narrative of this scope ever created in the United States.
Clark College. Vancouver, Washington

Panel 45: The Covington House is a log house first used as a boarding school located east of town. It was later moved into Vancouver and has been cared for by the Vancouver Women’ s Club for over 50 years. Is Sasquatch a member?

fwiw -- if there's one, there were probably others ...    as in:

http://www.sistersofprovidence.net/150years/index.php?page=history&h=timeline

Providence in the West: A Timeline, 1856-1902
April 15, 1857 Providence Academy, first permanent school in the Pacific Northwest, opens in Vancouver as a day school, boarding school, and orphanage.

above found googling for historic Vancouver, WA boarding schools -- there is more, all ya gotta do is look

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland