[or-roots] Look-up Augusta Bullard - Ancestry.com

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net glenkc7mbm at comcast.net
Wed Jul 19 09:03:10 PDT 2006

Carla
Have you tried going to your local library to see if they have access to Heritage Quest, with a library card and pin number you can access from home and they do have some things online, that may give you information at least on where to look.
Ancestry, which I do have a subscription to has a broad search pattern and really gives to many things to look at sometimes.
Glenkc7mbm

--
Glen A. Jones

From: "Kith-n-Kin" <Kith-n-Kin at cox.net>

Carla

I know you aren't bashing Ancestry, but in this case, it looks to me as though you got just what you asked for!  Outside of the billiards and so on, you asked for Bullard and Oregonian, and that's what you got.

The recognition software, in this case, is problematic not because it is necessarily buggy, but because of what it has to work with. All you have to do is take an old newspaper, scan it into your computer and OCR it, or make a PDF and OCR that, look at the result, and you will see what I mean. Between the soft paper, smeary ink, folds, and so on, it's a wonder anything gets read properly.

I only mention this because I don't want people to *not* try the newspaper files in looking for information. You do get a lot of ads and other odd information that has nothing to do with your subject, but every once in awhile you come up a winner. I found one paper in St. Joseph, Michigan that gave me the history of one entire line over a period of thirty years.

Another advantage, by the way, is to read the "other headlines" and articles to get a feel of "why something happened".  I had a fellow who was declared bankrupt, but couldn't figure out why. Then, I found that a railroad he had been involved in was declared bankrupt also. His name wasn't in the article on the railroad, but in an article a few years earlier he is found petitioning the township to bring in the railroad.

Pat (in Tucson)