[or-roots] Look-up Augusta Bullard - Ancestry.com

CKlooster at aol.com CKlooster at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 22:43:51 PDT 2006

Pat...what I meant by "buggy" was that if you do a search for a specific
name such as "Augusta Bullard" in the periodical section of Ancestry, you may
get a hit and bring up the edition in question and find a story that reads
"...last August a bull was stolen from the xyz stockyard".   There are search
engines with OCR programs that are more discriminating  than Ancestry's is.  Those
of us who use the full Ancestry service are  aware of this little twist, but
it's still often a disappointment when you find  several promising hits in the
right time frame only to find that the search  engine spotted portions of
words in proximity and reached an erroneous  conclusion!  This is true whether
you are doing a ranked search or a search  for a specific name...by the way, I
did do specific name searches with various  of the given Bullard names before I
resorted to a broader search.

But you are right...sometimes the stories are interesting even if it isn't
the person being sought.  I got a kick out of the story about the good
reverend...brings a whole new meaning to the term "Bible thumping".  And to  think
that a fraternal order of Druids were cavorting on the banks of the  Willamette
in the 1880's...  Apparently there is nothing new about the "New  Age"!

Carla