[or-roots] Re: Mary Ann Northrup

Robyn Greenlund rgreenlund61 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 22:04:40 PDT 2006

I did a quick check for Northrups in Stephanie Flora's emigration lists and found the following in 1851:

*18: NORTHRUP, Alice: d/o [] and Elizabeth (Shaw) Northrup
 *18: NORTHRUP, Anice: d/o [] and Elizabeth (Shaw) Northrup

 *18: SHAW, Catherine/Caroline: m'd NUMBERS, Phillip; d/o John and Nancy (Harris) Shaw; family stories say that this family accompanied John Shaw but records do not seem to bear this out  *18: SHAW, Elizabeth: m'd NORTHRUP, []; d/o John and Nancy (Harris) Shaw: widow with two children
 *18: SHAW, Harvey: s/o John and Nancy (Harris) Shaw
 *18: SHAW, John William (1797-1888): m'd 1821 HARRIS, Harriet "Nancy"; s/o Alexander and Mary (Barclay) Shaw; settled in Douglas Co on DLC #15; returned to Illinois by boat and brought back additional family members, including his wife and remaining children, in 1853; John and Nancy later moved to a place on the Touchet River in Washington Territory where he and Frank Lowden ran a pack train from Wallula to Kootenay; John and Nancy moved again to a place seven miles above Dayton, WA; John was an orchardist and raised nursery stock; they had bees, cattle and sheep; they were living in Walla Walla when they died in 1888 at the ages of 91 and 87
There is no Mary Ellen listed but the family is reported to have been part of the Capt. Williams train of 40 wagons from Fulton Co, IL. I would search on Capt. Williams and see if you can't find out why Mary Ellen isn't listed.

The researcher who is researching this family line is Janice Lambach (jllambach at aol.com). From the comments above, I suspect this person knows a lot about this family.

Subject: [or-roots] Mary Ann Northrup

               I am trying to find anything I can about a Mary Ann Northrup who came with her mother, Elizabeth Northrup and her sister Adeline and her grandparents John and Nancy Shaw to Douglas County about 1852.
  Elizabeth was a widow at the time but after she came to Oregon she married a Francis Marion Vliet.  She died after having two more children.  Her sister Adeline married Stanford Howell in Douglas County but I can never find Mary Ann/Marian after the 1860 census.
  If anyone out there has access to the Oregon State Census’ perhaps they could help me find what happened to her.
  Thanks,
  Dale

http://mail.yahoo.com