[or-roots] Ancestry

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sat Mar 4 21:48:15 PST 2006

I haven't tried the Library, but I suspect it may not be available locally,
our gen Soc supplied them with a subscription to Everton's for a year, and I
went in and used it a couple of times and was virtually the only person who
ever did.

We provided it to anyone who wanted to use it, and mentioned the fact it was
available in one of our meeting ads, but oh well.

I think someone told me I could get Heritage Quest at our local library too,
but I prefer to use the Coos Bay one on my home computer.

As I said, I have used Ancestry.com several times, but if I had had to pay
for it, I would have been very disappointed. I will continue to try it at my
local Family History Center when time allows, I am sure someday I will find
something, but I have far better luck with Heritage quest, the only thing
with them is they still don't have 1930 Census except a few states and don't
seem to be planning on ever doing 1830 - 1850, Oh and that little
eccentricity of only being indexed by head of household.

Ah  Well.

Of course my main thrust is to find all the free stuff before I spend a lot
of time on Ancestry, and it looks to me like that will probably take me at
least ten or twenty years longer than I expect to live.