[or-roots] Oregon Insane Asylums

JudyRobertson39 at aol.com JudyRobertson39 at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 10:47:00 PST 2006

Interestingly, where there was no nursing home available and the elderly  did
not care to leave their own home when it became apparent they could no
longer care for themselves the practice of taking them to the state hospital
remained into the 1980's.  My own grandparents did not want to leave their  home
and it was well past the time they should have had assistance.  The  local
deputy sheriff in their community threatened the family with taking them  to the
state hospital in Pendleton.  Fortunately, we were able to reason  with them and
get assistance into their home so they could stay there.

Additionally, I have no verification for this but I read somewhere that the
owner of one of the hotels in a remote eastern oregon community was in the
habit  of furloughing female patients to his establishment for periods of time.
They were used as ladies of the evening and when the local folks tired of
them  they were returned to the hospital in Salem in favor of a new batch.As the
other  writer stated.  I am not sure we have come very far in the  meantime.