[or-roots] Roll call

CARROLLOUC at aol.com CARROLLOUC at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 13:29:32 PST 2006

Was this Fred Merrick the man who owned the Merrick Ballroom in Medford, OR?
As I recall, it was a popular place when I first moved to Medford from
Portland in 1949.

Carroll Cooper Summers
I am ready and willing to throw the following names in the hat:
Michael Travers and wife Ann, called Nan, McCardle Travers both born Ireland
and in Portland in time for the 1860 census with an otherwise unidentified
woman named Bridget McCardle who appears only the once.

Albert H. Gaylord came to Oregon from California about 1888-89 to work as a
telegrapher on the railroad.  He married Rosa Travers and they lived all over
Oregon and Washington

Fred E. Merrick came to Portland later, probably 1904, then moved to Medford
about 1905.  This was a New York family who lived 1 generation in North Dakota.

My brick walls are Michael and Ann Travers before they appear in Portland.
Michael died in December 1882 in Portland while Ann died in 1896 and they were
both buried in the Catholic cemetery in The Dalles.  The Oregonian commenting
on Michael's death noted that "he was a pioneer of the Cascades area".
Phyl Purdum