[or-roots] Roll Call

CARROLLOUC at aol.com CARROLLOUC at aol.com
Sun Mar 19 15:59:26 PST 2006

My  Cooper line came to Oregon about 1873, Jackson Co. Included in the family
were my gr gr grandmother Sophia Lucinda Cowles Cooper, b 1819 in
Pultneyville, NY. She m. Nathaniel P. Cooper in 1835, Pultneyville. They settled first in
KY then Washington Co., Iowa where they had several children. My gr
grandfather, Hulburt DeWitt Cooper was their first born (in PA, 1836). James FitzJames
was b in KY.

James and Sophia were living in Talent, Jackson Co. in the 1880 census along
with James sister, Edmonia Cooper, age 19 and a nephew, Russell Ames. age 10,
b in CO. where the family lived from 1861 until about 1873. Nathaniel died Apr
1870 in CO, Ft. Collins. Have never been able to find where he was born in NY
or who his parents are.

Also, living nearby was my gr grandfather DeWitt (he never went by Hulburt)
with several children, all girls except for my grandfather, Guy Colin Scott
Cooper. His wife was Melissa Scott from Apanoose Co.m Iowa
and apparently died in childbirth before 1880. Dau. Geneva was 2 years old in
1880 census. I have never found record or grave for Melissa.

The two families moved on by 1883/4 to Baker Co. where Sophia bought land
near Weatherby. She died Nov 1893 and was probably buried on the property as
apparently was James. There is supposed to be a headstone for James, a Civil War
vet.
Eventually DeWitt and Guy moved on to Portland, OR after Guy married Ida Mae
Jessup and my father Maurice DeWitt Cooper was b in Baker City in 1904.

Have been unable to find a death record for DeWitt although he died around
1907 and is buried in the Multnomah Park Cemetery.

There are others that came to Oregonm first Baker Co. then to Portland.
Clerkins from MO along with Jessups. Martha Jane Calhoun Clerkin was b in VA and
died 1901 in Baker City.

Carroll Cooper Summers

Lots of questions to be answered about these people.