[or-roots] RE: Bonebrakes and Barklows

Robyn Greenlund rgreenlund61 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 23:04:39 PST 2006

Thanks Les for your searching. I ran into the same problem with the Barklow/Barlow spelling in the census in 1880, but like you, just kind of stumbled on it.

  Judy - I have found that there is another reference to your Bonebrake family in Orvil Dodge's book - in the non-biographical section. It ties the brothers together. Have you looked into the Brethern church records? There is a good writeup on the Myrtle Point congregation and the church, and it references a 1906 publication that there must be other editions of. There is also an e-mail link that might find more information.  http://orwahist.rothweb.com/Churches.htm The Orvil Dodge mentions confirm they were Brethren ministers.

  Today I also uncovered an unlikely connection between the Royer family and the Barklows. On a Royer family website is a comment by Dawn (tiaspook at aol.com) where she wrote
  "While down in Myrtle Point over the weekend I found about 30 diaries from my great-great-grandfather (he was a preacher for the Brethren Church in Myrtle Point). In those diaries he talked an awful lot of Mollie Royer (who married John Wesley Barklow) and her insanity. We had known that she had a problem, but were to find out in these diaries that her Father, Henry Royer (son of John Royer and Phoebe Heckman) died in an insane asylum. Do you know of any other of the Royer line who were insane? This was an interesting find as we were always told that she went insane after my grandfather was born. Actually, it was before her third child. Would love to know what was wrong."
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~royer/Tidbits9.htm)

  I dropped her a note today and hope I can locate the diaries. I know Thomas (Tommy) Barklow kept a very precise diaries, and there is a HUGE book on the Barklows in the Myrtle Point library by Louis Root, the family historian (now deceased). I have been trying to determine where the diaries he kept went, and this may be them. Will keep all interested in the loop...

  Robyn