[or-roots] RE: Sutro Library

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sat Mar 25 19:39:24 PST 2006

Okay Bea;

Sounds like you better wave off on trying to find anything for me, guess I
will have to get ahold of a roll of that newspaper, but if I can't find any
more info than the item on Aunt Gert, it probably isn't worth the effort.

Genealogical material in Oregon donation land claims
Portland, Or.?: The Forum?, 1957-, 809 pgs.

page 1-27

No. 660 MILLER, John, Sr., Linn Co; b 1792, Carter (Carteret before 1796).
Tenn, Tenn; Arr. Ore 27 Aug 1851; SC 20 Nov 1851; m Sarah Sept 1812, Tenn.
She d 27 July 1853. Aff: Wair Long, James M. Coon, Nicholas Miller.

Okay two things here tell me this Nicholas of yours is related to Aunt
Hazel, first he is born in Carter County, Tenn which in itself isn't proof
positive, but having a Son-in-law of George Miller, Aunt Hazel's grandpa, on
the affadavit makes me pretty confident he is.

Mimi; do you know for sure? I am talking about the four brothers, John,
Isaac, George and Abraham Miller who left Tenn for Indiana and then moved on
to Illinios for ten years before coming to Oregon, none of the stuff I
posted last night nor what I have found [darn little] on Heritage Quest
makes that clear.

I am also a little vague on which of the 20 or 30 of them that I suspect are
related that I find in the Census belong to which generation.

At least the DLC book is giving me some fairly coherent info on each couple,
though no maiden names, that would have been a nice touch.

I'll send you a genealogy report as soon as I can put the line together a
little better, I thought somewhere I had their father and mother's names,
but I think I was confused by the generations.