[or-roots] re: Dr. William Gage

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Wed May 17 18:58:17 PDT 2006

In a message dated 5/17/06 11:03:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ssteward at ccountry.net writes:

This family newsletter article from Martha (Gale)  Hockersmith indicates "My
three brothers Newton, Marion, and William J Gale,  started the first
newspaper in Eugene."

Sue,
Thank you for this bit of information. It leaves a lot unsaid. I'm  wondering
what the name
of the newspaper was and about what year. There were many early newspapers  in
Eugene -- some that didn't last very long at all.

Might there be some information at the Lane County  Historical Society about
the newspaper?

The "Lane County Historian", publication of the Lane County Historical
Society is where
I got my first clue. In an article that I can't put my fingers on right now
-- (do you ever
lose things in stacks of papers?) -- it said that all the sons of William
Gale went into
the newspaper publishing business except William J. Gale -- and that he
lived near
Junction City and is buried there -- or something like that. The headstone
does say
that he died at age 21, so he probably doesn't have much history here.

The family came to Oregon in 1853 and he died in 1859. At least that
confirms why I
could not find him on any census.  :-)

Thanks again for your help.
Linda