[or-roots] List problems

Layne G SAWYER Layne.G.Sawyer at state.or.us
Tue Oct 17 08:32:23 PDT 2006

Listers,

We are continuing to have problems with the email server that is the pass through for out going and incoming messages.

The "titan thingy" that you are seeing on some messages is the name for the server in the Secretary of State's IT shop that hosts the list for us.  The issues are not with the server "in house" ,( although we have had two power outages in the past week that they are trying to diagnose) but with the larger email server that the Department of Administrative Services runs.  Again I can only urge patience as they keep telling us they are working on resolving the problem.  It appears to be rejecting mail coming from external addresses and then lets a few through for some reason.

I believe Les is correct that if you merely hit reply for a message it is going to go to the hosting server and not to the email address that will then post to the list.  I can not explain this phenomena either.  My questions to our IT staff have resulted assurances that they have not changed any settings. So please make sure the address line is:

 or-roots at sosinet.sos.state.or.us

to get a message through to the rest of the list.

Regards

Layne Sawyer
List Mom
Oregon State Archives

>>> reedsportchapmans at verizon.net 10/17/06 6:53 AM >>>
OK;

I haven't seen a SINGLE post until yesterday's thank you, which I assume
must have been a response to an earlier post, I am unclear if "earlier" was
several days ago when we had a small flurry of posts that got through, or if
I have again completely missed most of the recent list activity, guess I
will have to visit the archives and find out.

SUGGESTION; instead of hitting reply, post your responses to the correct
address; or-roots at sosinet.sos.state.or.us

I have this in my address book as List, Oregon so when I post it comes up as
Oregon List, I know this is a hassle, but until the PTB get their system
sorted out we will have to try harder to make it work.

If it is any consolation my IT support (my son) has been fighting for three
days to make my wife's computer access our wireless network, the thing
absolutely refuses to do so in any way shape or form, it cheerfully
acknowledges the presence of the wireless network, he has all the identical
parameters on her computer that my laptop uses to join right in, and the
thing steadfastly refuses to make connection, worse luck, it doesn't bother
to tell us why, it just quits trying.